Monday, October 8, 2007

Obedience

I Samuel 15:22 says But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. Obedience can be tough at times. I have kids and when I ask them to do something they want to do such as "get in the car so we can go to the movies" they are quick to obey. However when I ask those very same kids "clean up your room we have company coming over" I do not get the same result! But those are kids, we adults are more mature and understand how important it is to obey. Oh really! Or in the famous words of Dr. Evil "Riiiight!" Matthew 28: 19 and 20 says "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Are we really making disciples? The word disciples is actually the Greek word matheteuo. This word means to teach, or to instruct. It is in the active voice and the Imperative Mood. In a sense what is being said is you must go and teach others the Good News. This is not a request for volunteers but a command for us to act. How can we as believers go and teach unless we are prepared. Are we as born again believers spending time in the Word, are we as followers of Christ studying diligently? II Timothy 4: 2 says Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. This is not necessarily something that can be done overnight. Are we prepared in season and out? I know in my own life my priorities are not quite right. I am not always prepared. I Peter 3: 15 says ...Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,... Are we willing to spend the time and effort it will take to make disciples? Are we willing to restructure our priorities? Are we willing to obey? Your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment