Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Some of you who have been reading my posts for a while know I grew up in the 80's. I think it was the greatest decade. We had the coolest fashions - bright neon, we had the coolest hairstyles - mullets and big puffy hair, we had the best movies - The Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and the music, ahh the music. Our music ran the gamut from Rick Astley to Iron Maiden, from Spandau Ballet to Motley Crue. 

Speaking of Motley Crue, they were and still are one of my favorite bands. I hope that statement does not cause you to stop reading, try to stay with me on this. I was watching Behind the Music on VH1 Classic the other night and Motley Crue was being profiled. I watched these guys boast and brag about the lifestyle they lived and are still living to this day. Back in the 80's they lived the ultimate rock star lifestyle - sex, drugs and rock and roll. Today they live the sex and rock and roll lifestyle. It appears they have all kicked the drug habit. With that said, I was listening to the radio this morning and their song Home Sweet Home came on and there is a portion of line in the song that reminded me of something: 

My heart's like an open book
For the whole world to read
Sometimes nothing keeps me together at the seams

I'm on my way
I'm on my way
Home sweet home

As I sat at the stoplight I was reminded that God has given us, the whole world, an open book to read that reveals his heart. The God of the universe, the God of eternity created man for his glory, man sinned and God provided a way out of our hopeless situation through the finished work of his son on the cross. This theme of redemption is repeated over and over throughout his open book, the Bible. Below are just a few references, the list could go on and on:

Psalm 49: 15- 15 But God will redeem my life from the grave; he will surely take me to himself. Selah
Isaiah 53: 5 - But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.
Matthew 1: 21 - She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins."
I Corinthians 6: 9-11 - 9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Ephesians1: 7-8 - 7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace 8that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.
I Timothy 1: 15, 16- 15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.
I John 1: 1, 2 - 1My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

I never cease to be amazed at how the Holy Spirit uses every day things to remind me about the truths of God. Today he used one of the most decadent, unrepentant, in-your-face rock bands to remind me about who it is I owe my all to. And one day I will be on my way to the true Home Sweet Home because of the finished work of Christ some 2000 years ago.

New Crue Post - Of Grace and Motley Crue

2 comments: