Tuesday, October 2, 2007

All Scripture...

II Timothy 3:16 says "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God will be thoroughly equipped for every good work." This verse is the root cause of many divisions within the Church, the Ekklesia. The focus of this verse for me is the word all. The Greek word is pas and means all or every. Why is this passage so hard to accept by "Christians"? If we cannot accept this verse to be true, how can we accept any of the other verses in the Bible. Who is the ultimate authority on what is God-breathed and what is not? Is it the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the president of the Southern Baptist Convention? Accepting this verse along with all other verses in the Bible as being God-breathed is tough at times. However, how can we pick and choose and have any sense of stability in our life. If we pick and choose what is God-breathed and what is not, we turn the Scripture into a an old rope bridge like Indiana Jones had to cross. It was very unstable and he was never sure if the next step he took would support him or not. I have to believe that ALL Scripture is God-breathed in order to have stability in my life. Even when the Scripture does not make me feel very good, when the scripture tells me I am a sinner, I have to believe it. I have to believe the Scripture when it tells me that the husband/father is responsible for his home. I have to believe the Scripture when it tells me that there is only one way to heaven, I have to believe the Scripture when it tells me hard times will come into my life. Is it easier to not believe this? I don't know. Don't get me wrong, I am not a mindless pew filler that listens to and believes everything the pastors teach on Sunday morning. I try to do what the Bereans did in Acts 17:11 - Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. I do not see how we as Believers can not take God at his word. The Holy Scripture is the foundation on which I base all of my faith and if my foundation is not rock solid I have built my faith in vain.

No comments:

Post a Comment