Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Only Human

Have you ever listened to a song and not had a clue what it was about? Have you ever had the main chorus down pat but had to mumble the words of the verses because you had no idea what they were. Growing up I used to do that. All I really cared about was the catchy beat and main hook (I think that's what they call it in the music industry). I heard an old school song as I was driving to work the other day and for a few minutes I tried to listen to the verses to see if I could figure out what the song was about. I think the older I get the more I listen to what the actual song is saying than what the catchy phrase is. The song I listened to the other day was Human by The Human League. Take a look at the lyrics and I will finish my thoughts below.

Come on, baby, dry your eyes
Wipe your tears
Never like to see you cry
Won't you please forgive me?

I wouldn't ever try to hurt you
I just needed someone to hold me
To fill the void while you were gone
To fill this space of emptiness

I'm only human
Of flesh and blood I'm made
Human
Born to make mistakes

So many nights I longed to hold you
So many times I looked and saw your face
Nothing could change the way I feel
No-one else could ever take your place

I'm only human
Of flesh and blood I'm made
Human
Born to make mistakes

I am just a man

Please forgive me

The tears I cry aren't tears of pain
They're only to hide my guilt and shame
I forgive you now I ask the same of you
While we were apart I was human too

I'm only human
Of flesh and blood I'm made
I am just a man
Human
Born to make mistakes
The song is about a couple who were apart for some time. While they were apart the guy confesses that he hooked up with someone else. He made a mistake and he is only human - i.e. everyone does it. His girlfriend is crying and has to confess that her tears are tears of guilt because while they were apart she hooked up with someone else as well. She was unfaithful, confirming that she is only human too.

The song basically ends there. We have no idea if they kissed and made up or realized they not made for each other since neither of them could be faithful to the other. This is typical of the music and entertainment industry. The movie is full of passion and romance with two people so in love it hurts! They even seem to enjoy washing dishes and doing laundry as long as they can do it together...but I digress.

As I read these lyrics a time or two a couple of verses came to mind.

Psalm 51: 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

Psalm 58:3 Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward and speak lies.
As the writer of Human stated in the chorus:

I'm only human
Of flesh and blood I'm made
I am just a man
Human
Born to make mistakes
My guess is that he was not inspired by the Bible he was simply trying to justify what he did. He was simply saying I could not help it, it is just the way I am. His partner basically said the same thing. And in essence they are right. As King David said in Psalm 51 we are born into sin. We cannot help but sin. That does not mean we are off the hook, we still have to stand before a Holy God one day, we will still be held accountable for our sin. So what are we to do?

God provided a way for us to be forgiven. Christ was born of a virgin, he was not born of the seed of man, he was not born into sin. He was sent to earth to fulfill the law and become the ultimate sacrifice. The writer of Hebrews explains why Christ had to die.

Hebrews 9: 22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

Without Christ's sacrifice we would not only be born into sin, we would die in our sin. However, because God is a loving God who is merciful and gracious he provided a way for us to stand before him blameless. We must look at the story of redemption he gave us and understand the plan he had to redeem sinful man. It is clear if you read the Bible that God's plan is to redeem man through the sacrifice of Christ on the cross some 2000 years ago.

Yes, we are only human, born of flesh and blood, we are born to make mistakes but God does not leave us there, he does not leave us to wallow in our sins forever, he has provided a way for us to be forgiven of our sin. If you are curious about God's plan of redemption take some time to read the book of John, take some time to read the Bible. Paul clearly states that salvation will come by hearing/reading the Word - Romans 10: 17.

God didn't end his story like the writers of Human...unfinished, with the reader or listener wondering what happened. God's story is clear, his story is one of hope for those who are only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment