Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ozzy's Quest for Truth

Do you have any memories from many years ago that seem to be stuck in your head? Many times they are somewhat meaningless things but none-the-less they are stuck in your brain. I have one that I can still recall to this day. I remember being in shop class at West Florence High School in 1981. My shop teacher's name was Mr. Luther. There was a kid who obviously had some shop skills and he built a wooden container that would fit between the front seats of his Jeep. What was unique about this was that there was a special hinge that he developed that would open a hidden compartment where he could stash his weed. He was very up front about this with the class and the teacher and all anyone would say was "Cool!"

The other thing I remember about that Shop class was another guy brought in the new Ozzy Osbourne cassette tape Blizzard of Ozz. I remember his showing it to us and telling us how cool the music was. The shop teacher even let us listen to it in class. I remember listening to it thinking how different it was from what I was used to listening to. My parents were big Glenn Campbell fans and about the most outrageous album they ever bought was Rod Stewart's A Night on the Town.

The reason I bring this up is that this morning I was riding to work and the radio played an Ozzy song from his 2010 album Scream titled Diggin Me Down. I rode to the office captivated by the lyrics. Take a look:

You're saving the saved,
Men and women enslaved,
Propagating the messiah conception

The rich getting richer,
Paint you into the picture,
Give the poor immaculate deception

Where are you Father?
Why don't you save us?
The fallen are dying alone

How can you shut off their cries?
Ignore a new genocide?

So come on, Jesus,
We're all here waiting just for you

How long must we keep on waiting?
The faithful and blind are keepin' me, keepin' me down

How long? 'Cause my faith is breaking,
The pure and divine are diggin' me, diggin' me down

Do you live in the light
Or in the dead of the night?
Sanctimonious promises broken

Hypocritical sin,
Dying slowly within,
Is the sacred truth forever unspoken?

Life ever after,
Bohemian rapture,
Beware the dark side of the Son

You're just a self-made messiah,
Selling brimstone and fire

So come on, Jesus,
Don't keep us waiting just for you

How long must we keep on waiting?
The faithful and blind are bringin' me, bringin' me down

How long? 'Cause my faith is breaking,
The pure and divine are diggin' me, diggin' me down

How will I know you, Mr. Jesus Christ?
Have you already been here once or twice?

The son of man are obsolete façade,
How will I know that you're the son of God?
Yeah
As I listened to the lyrics I could not help but think of a couple of verses. The ones that came to mind were from the book of Luke and the book of John:

Luke 1: 3, 4 - 3 Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

John 20: 30, 31 - 30 Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
Ozzy, it seems, has questions about who Christ is. Is he the Messiah? Is he the Son of God? This song is full of questions and I think the Bible is clear that people will believe in Christ through reading his word. Jesus prayed for this very thing in John 17. He was praying for his disciples and the message they would proclaim.

John 17: 20 - “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message
The apostle Paul reiterates this in the book of Romans:

Romans 10: 17 - Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
In other words faith in Christ has to be based on the message of who God is and what he did for us through his son.

If Ozzy is truly looking for answers he needs to stop looking to politics, stop looking to religion, stop looking to "godly men" and start looking to the Bible. This is the only place where he can get the answers to his deep questions.My hope is that one day the Prince of Darkness will see the Light and will know that Jesus is the son of God! Rock on! \m/ \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment