Friday, August 8, 2008

Spiritual Sunburn

As I sit here writing this e-mail I am constantly having to wipe flakes of skin off of my keyboard (I know that sounds a little disgusting, and no I do not have some disease). I got sun burn on the top of my head last week while we were at the beach. I guess my hair is a little thinner than I thought! But this got me thinking about something. The evidence of being exposed to the sun is clear. Some of us get burned and turn red with very little exposure, some of us get brown, really quickly, and some of us start out redish but get a little browner the longer you are exposed to the sun. But regardless of how your skin reacts there is evidence of exposure. If we are not constantly exposed to the sun our tan (or burn) begins to fade. This brought a scripture to mind - Acts 17:11 Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. The Bereans were being exposed to the scriptures. Was there evidenced of their exposure? Were they getting a spiritual tan? Absolutely, look at what Acts 17:12 says - Many of the Jews believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men. If you are exposing yourself to the scriptures every day there will be evidence of that exposure. If you are not exposing yourself to the scriptures on a regular basis your spiritual tan will begin to fade. Let me encourage you to spend time in God's word this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment