Friday, June 26, 2015

Same Sex Marriage - A Christian Response



I am torn over the Supreme Court's decision today. I am disappointed in the Supreme Court's decision mainly because churches and pastors will now come under intense scrutiny. I truly believe freedom of religion is gone.

I am also pretty sure Jesus never involved himself in politics while he walked the streets that were under Roman rule. He just kept preaching the Gospel. He did not argue with Caesar or Pilot he just kept loving the unloveable. My guess is that Jesus would love the gays as much as he loves the straights. He would still rebuke the religious who have forgotten about their own need for forgiveness and he would be called a homosexual sympathizer because he would probably be seen hanging out in their midst.

In the end I believe God is sovereign and in control. How all of this fits into His plan I have no idea. What I do know is that no one is drawn to the Gospel by hearing angry Christians who are ready to fight over this. The lost will be drawn to the Gospel by seeing radical displays of love. You know, the kind Jesus used to show to the hookers, tax collectors and drunks. Maybe we should just give that a try. Maybe we should try to live out Matthew 5:44 - But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment