Sunday, March 16, 2014

I'm exhausted

Have you ever felt like you worked so hard you were about to pass out? Have you ever had a job where you loathed getting up and going to work?

Sometimes we can translate this to our spiritual lives. Sometime we try really hard to do the right thing hoping that, in the end, it will turn out ok. We want to make God happy by what we do, we hope He is looking down on our good behavior and our good deeds and smiles. I have some bad news for you if that is what pleases God. Take a look at a passage of scripture:

Matthew 5: 48 - You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

This verse should make us realize that we cannot do what God requires of us. We cannot be perfect. So we have to ask the question - What do I do now? Good question. We must look to the only one who was able to live a perfect life and realize that Christ did for us what we could never do for ourselves.  He begins to unpack this for us a few chapters later: 

Matthew 11: 28 - Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Without a clear understanding of who Christ is and what He did for us we will constantly strive to do more, hoping it is enough, to please God - this is the heavy burden we bear in vs 28.

The reality is that the work has been done for us by Christ.


John 17:4 - I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do.

When we finally see this we can take off the burden of do more, try harder, pretend we have it all together and we can put on the easy yoke of - I believe that the work it takes to please God has been done for me and I can rest vs 30. The perfection God requires was fulfilled in Christ. I can stop trying to please God and begin worshiping the only one who ever truly pleased God.

No comments:

Post a Comment