Monday, February 4, 2013

It's all about Jesus

It's all about Jesus! Have you ever heard that before? When I say that I am not talking about my life (I wish I were) but I am talking about the Bible. I started reading through the Bible again a few weeks ago. I think this will be my fourth time. My focus this time will be on Christ. I know that might sound strange but I think at times I am reading just to read. I am reading just so I can say I read. I read without a real purpose. This time will be different. I truly believe that you can find Christ anywhere in the Bible because it truly is all about him.

In the beginning God made everything perfect. He put Adam and Eve in the garden and told them they could eat anything they wanted except for the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Well as you probably know they did exactly what they were not supposed to do. They ate of the very tree God told them to not eat from. At that moment everything changed and when I say everything I mean everything, the entire universe was tainted by sin:

Romans 8: 20, 21 - 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

When Adam and Eve sinned they did not run to God and apologize, they ran from God and tried to hide. God was the one who came looking for them, God came to them and replaced their garment of fig leaves with a garment of animal hide. God came looking for them to keep them from eating of the tree of life and really making a much bigger mess.

In the same way when we are introduced to Christ in the New Testament he goes looking for men. Peter, John, Matthew, none of them were looking for Jesus, they were consumed with their own lives, their occupations. They were busy fishing or collecting taxes. Sure they had probably been told that one day Messiah would come but people had been saying that for almost 4000 years, why would this year be any different. But it was different, this was the year Jesus went looking for the sinners.

Mathew 4: 18-22 - 18 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him. 21 And going on from there he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and he called them. 22 Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Just like God went after Adam and Eve in the garden Christ went after the disciples in the towns and villages. Just like God provided a blood sacrifice for Adam and Eve Christ was going to offer a blood sacrifice for not only the disciples but for the entire world.

I Peter 1: 18-20 - 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

This is the theme of the Bible and it is stated all the way back in Genesis 3:

Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity
    between you and the woman,
    and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
    and you will strike his heel.”
My hope is that as I read through the Bible I will fix my eyes on Christ and not on me. I will see what Christ did and not what I do. I will see that Christ finished the work that I am completely incapable of finishing. If you decide to pick up the Bible and begin reading that you will do the same.

I hope that you will see how much God love us sinful creatures, that you will see how everything he does and says points to the finished work of Christ. From Noah to Abraham to Joseph to David and all the others, it is all about Christ.

In the end it is not about me, it is not about you, it is all about Christ. Consider this as you read the scriptures. Take your eyes off of yourself and put them on Christ. It will make a huge difference in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment