Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Child's Cry

I am a parent. I have three kids. What amazes me is how I can sleep through a terrible thunder storm, I can sleep through the dishwasher, the washing machine and the television all going on at the same time and not miss a minute of sleep. But it never seems to fail that whenever one of my kids make the slightest whimper in the middle of the night I hear it. Not only do I hear it but I seem to wake up in an instant and almost bolt into their room to see what is going on. Sometimes they were having a bad dream, sometimes they have gotten sick or sometimes they may have rolled out of the bed and fallen on the floor. Whatever the crisis I (and my wife) am up and in their room to fix whatever the problem may be whether it is 11:00 and we are just settling in the bed or if it is 3:00 in the morning and we are in a deep sleep.

As I was reading this morning I came across the following passage:

Psalm 18: 4 The cords of death entangled me;
    the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;
    the snares of death confronted me.
In this Psalm David is speaking about a time when he was being hotly pursued by King Saul. David was facing what he thought was certain death day in and day out. In the middle of the night so-to-speak he cried out for help:

Psalm 18: 6 In my distress I called to the Lord;
    I cried to my God for help.
From his temple he heard my voice;
    my cry came before him, into his ears.
David cried out to God. The God who has a lot going on. The God who keeps the sun and the moon and all the stars in place. The God who is creating man and woman in their mother's womb day in and day out. The God who is directing the paths of all of the kings of the earth. The God who is keeping track of Satan and all of his schemes. The God who has 10 million angles screaming "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty!" The list could go on and on but look at what happens:

Psalm 18: 16 He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
    he drew me out of deep waters.
17 He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
    from my foes, who were too strong for me.
18 They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
    but the Lord was my support.
19 He brought me out into a spacious place;
    he rescued me because he delighted in me.
He heard David's cry in the middle of the night. God took time to rescue David. God is never too busy, God does not sleep, God is never too distracted to hear us, he has never lost track of where we were or what we were going through. Trust that wherever you are and whatever you are going through God knows where you are, he hears your cry in the middle of the night and he will come to you, he will rescue you.

No comments:

Post a Comment