Monday, October 24, 2011

Stay thirsty my friend!

Have you seen the commercials about the most interesting man in the world? He is the spokesman for Dos Equis beer. The commercials are all over the television and the Internet. When talking about him the announcer will say things like "His charm is so contagious that vaccines have been developed for it." or "If you were to ask him for directions you would never get lost and would arrive five minutes early." At the end of the commercial he always raises a bottle of beer and says in a heavy Spanish accent "Stay thirsty my friends."

As I thought about this I started looking up verses on thirst. Here are just a few of what I found:
John 4: 13-15 - 13 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” 15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water so that I won’t get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water.”
John 7: 37-39 - 37 On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” 39 By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.
Revelation 22: 17 - 17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.
There are many others. What I see in these verses is that we are all spiritually thirsty. We may not realize it, we may think that there is some material thing that can satisfy just like the woman at the well. We look to relationships with others, we look to work and money, we look to our children, we look to material possessions, hoping that maybe these will satisfy our thirst. They may for a while but in the end we have to keep coming back to the well for more and more of something that will never completely satisfy.

Christ said that he was the water of life, that whoever takes the free gift of the water of life will never thirst again. How long are you going to "stay thirsty my friend"?

No comments:

Post a Comment