Thursday, September 22, 2011

You looking at me?!?!

Do you ever go clubbing? Not running around with a bat hitting people, going out to night clubs, going out to the bars looking for action. I no longer do that but back in my younger days I would go out with friends to the local hot spots. I remember a time or two when I would be looking at a pretty girl across the room and suddenly think...is she looking at me? I would slowly look over my left shoulder, no one there.  I would then look over my right shoulder, no one there! I then told myself I think she is looking at me! The other day I was reading the story about Christ calling Matthew to follow him and I wondered if Matthew might have reacted the way I did.
Mark 2: 13 - 13He went out again beside the sea, and all the crowd was coming to him, and he was teaching them. 14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.
I wonder if Matthew looked over his shoulder to see if Christ was talking to someone else. Here is a guy who is despised by just about everyone. The Jews despise him because he is collaborating with the Romans and the Romans despise him because he is a Jew. Needless to say Matthew was not on the invite list when it came to the parties and social events that took place. Yet Christ picked him to be on his team. Why? Because Christ knew it was the power of God that changes human hearts, not man's skills or abilities.
I Corinthians 1: 26-31 - 26For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."
If you don't believe me let me share a bit of my story with you:

You are reading a blog I wrote. Duh! What you don't know is that I hated writing, I hated it so much so that in high school I made a 32 on my senior term paper and almost did not graduate. In college I tried to find every professor that did not require term papers and I was very successful at doing that. In four years of college I probably had to write four term papers! Let me say it again, I hated writing! But through a series of events that I do not have time to talk about in this blog I am writing two entries a week every week and I love it. My blog is small on the scale of nation wide blogs but I do have about 800 people a month who read my blog.

If you feel God tugging at you to do something or you cannot get a thought out of your mind telling you to go to the local food shelter and work with the downcast and discouraged, don't look over your shoulder thinking He must be looking at someone else. He's not, God is looking directly at you and wants to use you for His glory. Step up and step out!

No comments:

Post a Comment