Monday, August 29, 2011

A Great Job Opportunity!

Do you remember looking for a job at some time or another? Do you remember looking through the job descriptions thinking "I'm not qualified for that one, or that one, or that one, maybe this one..." Take a look at the qualifications for a job posted on a popular job Web site:

• Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred.
• 3-5 years project management experience required.
• 3-5 years PeopleSoft experience preferred.
• 1-3 years experience in business system design and analysis required.
• HR experience required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong analytic and problem solving skills
• Ability to work well with others and build and maintain productive internal and external relationships.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously as well as manage operational responsibilities.
• Knowledge of HRMS, Microsoft Project, Word and Excel required.
• Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint and Visio preferred.
• PMP and PHR certification/s preferred.
• Knowledge of financial markets /industry preferred.

Wow! That's a lot of skills for one person!

So why am I bringing this up? I was reading the story of Gideon this week in the book of Judges and it got me thinking. Take a look at this passage:

Judges 6: 14, 15 - 14 The LORD turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” 15 “But Lord,” Gideon asked, “how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”

Do you see who God chose for this job? The least in his family from the weakest clan in Manasseh. In other words, Gideon had no work experience for the job. He had no fighting skills, he did not attend a military academy, he had not been to a leadership conference. It made me ask myself "What was God thinking choosing someone like this for such a task?!" But this is how God has chosen to do things. Another passage that shows this is in Acts:

Acts 4: 13 - When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

Peter and John were unschooled, ordinary men! Again, no formal education other than the school of hard knocks, their parents were not Harvard Alumni, they had not been through the Steven Covey - Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. These were guys God chose to use so he would get the glory, not them.

As we read the Bible I think we need to make sure we do not fall into the trap of thinking all of these "heroes of the faith" were born that way. Sure God knew them and had a plan for them but these guys did not know that. These "heroes" were probably unaware of how God would use them, they probably felt a lot link Gideon and looked a lot like Peter and John. We too can fall into the trap of feeling like we are totally unqualified for the task of spreading the Gospel but rest assured, if God can use the totally unqualified "heroes of the faith" he can use me and you.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I too have been feeling the inadequacy of myself and commiserating it to my wife lately, that is until she let me know in uncertain terms how much I was qualified for it. And like she said, "if God calls you, what else do you need?"
    This just reiterates it in my mind. Thank you God for showing me this blog, and and thank Pas Graphe for posting this.

    ReplyDelete