Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Fog!

I was driving to work today and the fog was as thick as Pea Soup. I am not sure why people say that but they do so I just said it. Anyway, it was very foggy this morning. In some spots I could barely see fifty yards ahead of me. I had to drive a little slower and burn my headlights. Even though the fog was thick (as Pea Soup) I still knew where I was going. I have traveled this route five days a weeks for a long time.

As I was driving through the Pea Soup fog a thought came to mind. There are times in our lives where we really don't know what's ahead. We receive bad news from the doctor, we get a pink slip from the Human Resources Office, our spouse decides he/she will be much happier with someone else, etc, etc, etc. These are the times when the Pea Soup fog begins to roll into our lives. We cannot see very well. We don't know whats ahead for us. We have no idea what the future will bring.

So what do we do? Do we throw up our hands and say "Why me!?" or "Woe is me!" This seems to be a typical response. Why is that? Why do we believe all of the promises of God as long as things are going well. Why do we seem to throw our faith out the window when we hit the fog. Why is it so hard to realize that even though we are in the Pea Soup fog God is in control. How crazy would it have been if I said that because I could not see the sun due to the Pea Soup fog that it must not be there. Yet that is what we sometimes do. I cannot see God in the midst of this situation so He must not be here. He must have forgotten about me, He must have more important things to attend to, maybe He does not even exist!

As I thought about this a few verses came to mind.
Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
Isaiah 41:10 - So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 43: 2, 3 - 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. 3 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your stead.
We were never promised that we would not have to drive through the Pea Soup fog of life but we were promised that we would not have to drive through it alone. Just as I finally arrived at work we too will eventually arrive at our final destination spiritually speaking. Remember, the sun is still shining and God is still in control!

1 comment:

  1. This one hits home. Thank you for your blog-sermons. They are very well worded and helpful.

    ReplyDelete