Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I'm not quite ready!

I had one of those moments last Friday. I was waiting patiently in car line at my daughter's school as the car ahead of me is in the process of dropping his/her child off. I am watching as the parent and child ahead are doing something, fixing her hair, wiping off her face, finishing a cereal bar, i'm not exactly sure what they are doing but the kid is not quite ready to be dropped off. I am no longer patiently waiting in line, I am tapping on the steering wheel, talking to myself about how rude it is to hold everyone else up and on and on.

Flashback thirty or so minutes and I am at home trying to get the kids out the door and headed to school. "Hold on dad I am almost ready!", "Dad, As soon as I get my earrings in I will be ready!", "I can't find my other shoe!", "Let me finish brushing my hair and I will be ready." I am beginning to lose my patience. Finally I declare "I am leaving with or without you!" and walk out of the house. The girls come running behind me "Hold on dad, we are coming, don't leave us!"

Flash forward thirty or so minutes and I am finally alone in my car headed to work. I am still worked up over everyone running late and needing just a few more minutes. As I am coming across as holier than thou because I was ready on time and all of these others were late I had a sudden encounter with the Holy Spirit! He brought these verse to my mind very quickly:
I Corinthians 15: 51, 52 - 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.
Matthew 7: 21-23 - 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
"That day" is coming for everyone. I am sure there will be many who may say "Lord, I am not ready, can I have just a few more minutes!", "Lord, If you can give me just another minute I will be ready!", "Lord, I am sorry, I was caught up with this and that and had no idea the time was now!"

This warning was issued over 2000 years ago. They have no excuse but neither do we for not sharing this with those around us. Christ told us to make disciples.
Matthew 28: 18-20 - “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
In order to make disciples we have to share the Good News with those around us. We have to warn those who do not know Christ. The day is coming for everyone. Are you ready? Are you getting others ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment