Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Don't Stop

When you read the title of this blog, how did you read it? Did you think Don't stop as in keep going or Don't (comma/pause) stop as in do not continue. It is interesting how we can use the same two words for two completely different meanings. As I was reading this morning this thought about Don't stop popped into my head...let me explain.

I have taken a slightly different approach to reading the Bible this year. I probably will not read the whole Bible this year but thats OK. I am reading certain books over and over to try to really understand what the writer is saying. For example, this week I am reading I Thessalonians over and over each morning. Last week I read Galatians over and over and over every morning. It is a great way for me to try and absorb some of the details of the book. Let me get back to my original thought.

As I read Galatians last week and I Thessalonians this week I came across a few verses that have this dual "don't stop" idea. Let me show you what I mean.
I Thessalonians 4: 1 - 1 Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. - My translation, Don't stop, keep going, keep doing this.
I Thessalonians 4: 9, 10 - 9 Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. 10 And in fact, you do love all the brothers throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers, to do so more and more. - My translation, Don't stop, keep going, keep doing this.
I Thessalonians 5: 11 - 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.- My translation, Don't stop, keep going, keep doing this.
But Paul also offers some warnings, some Don't (comma/pause) stop warnings:
Galatians 1: 6-9 - 6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!- My translation, Don't (comma/pause) stop, as in quit, halt, cease.
Galatians 3: 1-3 - 1 You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort?- My translation, Don't (comma/pause) stop, as in quit, halt, cease.
Galatians 5: 2-4 - 2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.- My translation, Don't (comma/pause) stop, as in quit, halt, cease.
I think there are areas in my life and probably yours as well where we need to hear Don't stop. Some areas are good areas where we need to hear Don't stop, keep going, keep doing this. But there are probably other areas where we need to hear Don't (comma/pause) stop, as in quit, halt, cease. Are you listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit as he leads and encourages you in the things you are doing well and are you also listening as He convicts you in the areas you need to change. If so, Don't stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment