Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Deceptive Appearance

A few weeks ago I wrote a blog about how I thought Jesus was not a very good salesman called Have I Got a Deal For You. This week I am having similar thoughts. Yesterday I was on Cornerstone Simi Valley's website and saw where Francis Chan had recently spoken. As I was listening to the message he began to read out of the book of Acts. He read a portion of Acts 14:
Acts 14: 19-22 -  19 Then some Jews came from Antioch and Iconium and won the crowd over. They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. 20 But after the disciples had gathered around him, he got up and went back into the city. The next day he and Barnabas left for Derbe. 21 They preached the gospel in that city and won a large number of disciples. Then they returned to Lystra, Iconium and Antioch, 22 strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” they said. 
As I listened to Francis read this my thoughts and his went in two different directions. Francis began to make some very good observations about how we live our lives verses how Paul lived his life. My thoughts, on the other hand, drifted back to my blog about Jesus not being a good salesman and how I do not think Paul was either. I would encourage you to take a few minutes and read my previous blog and return to this one so you can get an idea as to what I am talking about.

It seems to me that in churches across America and maybe around the world pastors are trying very hard to be cool and hip. They walk on stage to fancy lights and cool music, they sport what appears to be an expensive outfit, whether it be jeans or a suit, and an expensive uber cool haircut. They seem to be performers as much as, if not more than, pastors. I am not saying that all pastors are doing this but it seems to me more of the rule than the exception to the rule.

As I read the above passage I wondered if Paul cared what he looked like or what he wore. Notice verse 19 again -  They stoned Paul and dragged him outside the city, thinking he was dead. I have seen videos of people being stoned to death and it is a horrific scene. Paul was probably covered in blood, dirt, spit and who knows what else. His clothes were probably torn and his hair must have been and absolute mess. Besides my description there are some interesting "historical" writings that give some information about Paul's appearance. According to these writings Paul was short, bald, bow-legged had a uni-brow and a big nose. He probably would not be on the cover of Vanity Fair or Christianity Today without an extreme makeover. But notice what happens in spite of his appearance. In verse 21 - They preached the gospel in that city and won a large number of disciples. I doubt Paul spent much time working on his appearance. I wonder what the large number of disciples thought when they saw Paul battered and bruised, when they saw a fat lip, a black eye and a gash on his head where a stone practically cracked his skull like a coconut. This is  a far cry from todays pastors who promise health, wealth and prosperity. Paul's message was much different than what we hear in many churches today. Paul's message was one of suffering. Notice what the disciples learned from Paul - vs 22 “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God,” . How many of us hear that on Sunday mornings? How many of us are attracted to that kind of preaching and teaching, how many of us are looking forward to that kind of lifestyle? Paul's message was effective not because of who Paul was or what Paul looked like but because of his obedience to what God had called him to do.

The life God calls us to live is quite different from the life the world says we should live. Many are getting caught up in it from the pulpit to the pew. God is not concerned with how cool, hip and modern we are but rather how humble, obedient and giving we are. It is almost a cliché to say it but God truly is more concerned with what our heart looks like than he is what our hair looks like.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you are saying. One pastor I knew called in "Clowns in the Parking Lot".

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The life God calls us to live is quite different from the life the world says we should live."

    See what your doing to me, its like your agreeing with me. Previous blog(different but same)says that you and i agree, yet have a different way of how we should spread the word of God.

    You say God has made our paths cross, something about accepting Christ died for our sins. I can accept that, but you cant accept that we can change society.

    confused,
    Glenn Poston

    ReplyDelete