Thursday, December 10, 2009

Writers Block


As I sit here to write something, nothing is coming to mind. I am hoping that as I type something will make its way to the blog...........................................several hours later.................. I am wondering if any of the writers of the Bible ever had writer's block. Well the answer is obviously no. Peter in his second letter said:

II Peter 1: 20-21 - 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.


There was no pressure on Peter to make something up. It was the Holy Spirit who carried him along or inspired him to write his letters. The Apostle Paul said something similar in his second letter to Timothy:

II Timothy 3: 16 - 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.


The word God-breathed is a unique word and is not used anywhere else in the Bible and really it is not used anywhere outside the Bible. This is a word Paul coined. (This is not unique to Paul, this time of year we hear the term Regift. This is simply the act of receiving a gift from someone, and then giving it to someone else -as in recycling a gift.) The Greek word is theopneustos and is made up of two Greek words that Paul put together, theos which means God and pneo which means to breath or blow. In a sense Paul is saying that God told him what to write and it was not just a letter with useful information but it was words that were alive. Remember what Hebrews 4: 12 says:

12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.


The word of God is alive. When God breaths on something it comes alive. We can go all the way back to the book of Genesis when God created Adam, He breathed life into something that was lifeless and it came alive:

Genesis 2: 7 - 7 the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.


God is able to make anything come alive. He is all powerful. Christ had this same power when He commanded Lazarus to come back from the dead:

John 11: 38-44 - 38Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. 39"Take away the stone," he said. "But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days." 40Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" 41So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me." 43When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" 44The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."


My question to you and me is are we spending time meditating on the living, active word of God? Are we taking time out of our day to see what God wants to say to us through His word? If you spiritual walk is dead or at best on life support, spend some time with the God who can make dead things come alive. He can make a dead spiritual journey come alive again, He can bring a dead marriage back to life. He is an all powerful God who can make something out of nothing.

The following is a very familiar passage that sums up what our attitude should be towards the Word of God and how we will be blessed if we do spend time in the living word.

Psalm 119: 9-16
9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 10 I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. 12 Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. 13 With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. 14 I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. 15 I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. 16 I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment