Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Web of Deceit


I like to walk. I am getting too old to run and my knees are wearing out. I usually walk at night during the week and in the mornings on the weekend. Last Sunday I was walking early in the morning. I had a lot on my mind as I found out a great friend of mine got caught up in a mess that cost him his job, his home and maybe even his family. This guy is a Believer and the two of us have had many conversations about our faith, talked about Biblical truths, prayed for each other, etc. As I was thinking about this I walked under a tree that was overhanging the sidewalk and straight into a spiders web. (Can you see where this is going?) Sin is just like that spider's web, sometimes you see it and you can avoid it other times you don't and you walk right in to it. Sometimes we see the potential for sin and do our best to avoid it. Sometimes we find our selves looking at something we should not look at, we find ourselves saying something we should not be saying, sometimes we flirt with someone we should not be talking to and we catch ourselves and avoid the web. Other times we don't, we give in to the temptation. The writer of Hebrews mentions how easy it is to get entangled in the web of sin.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.


My friend, for whatever reason, did not throw off the sin and he became entangled. I do not know what was going through his mind as he was giving in to the temptation. I do not know why he did not pick up the phone and call someone and ask for help. From a human viewpoint his life is a mess right now. He fell hard before he crossed the finish line in life's race. My prayer is that he will get up and continue the race and use this to bring glory to God. My prayer is that you and I will learn from his mistakes. Look at what Peter says:

I Peter 5: 8 - 8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.


Just like a lion waits patiently for his next meal, satan waits patiently to pounce on us. If he does not get us today he will try again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and...

If you find yourself in a situation where you could easily become entangled, let someone know. Find someone who will pray for you, someone who is willing to ask you some tough questions and hold you accountable. Don't try to go it alone.

Ecclesiastes 4: 12 - Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment