Thursday, March 19, 2009

Whats that smell?


I recently had a day when it seemed my nose was over sensitive. I seemed to get a whiff of all kinds of things. On the way to work I got behind a car that was in desperate need of some oil. Smoke was billowing out of the tail pipe and I got a big whiff. On the way home I got behind a truck that locked up its breaks and I got a big whiff of burned rubber tire. Once I got home I took the dog for a walk. As I was finishing the walk I got a big whiff of something being grilled, steak, chicken, pork, I am not sure what but it smelled wonderful. Earlier that morning I was reading in Psalms and I came across this verse:

Psalms 51; 19 Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings to delight you; then bulls will be offered on your altar.


I started thinking I wonder what my life smells like to God. Is it a peasant offering that delights him or a putrid smell that causes him displeasure.

Take a look at these two verses:

Exodus 29: 18 Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, an offering made to the LORD by fire.


Jeremiah 6: 20 What do I care about incense from Sheba or sweet calamus from a distant land? Your burnt offerings are not acceptable; your sacrifices do not please me.


In the same way is our life a pleasant smell to those around us. Both Believers and non-believers. Notice what Paul says II Corinthians:

II Corinthians 2: 14-17 14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? 17Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God.


Do we show the love of Christ to those around us? Do we really love our neighbor as ourself? Do we really care that there are people around us who are dying and going to hell?

God has called us to a lifestyle of worship. This means a lifestyle of obedience to what He asks us to do.

I Samuel 15; 22 But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD ? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

Take a minute to think about your aroma. You are either pleasing or displeasing to both God and man.

No comments:

Post a Comment