Thursday, February 12, 2009

God is worthy


Last year a friend challenged me to read through the Bible in a year. That was in 2008 and I did not make it. As a matter of fact I think I only got through the first four books. I started out this year with a determination to take up the challenge again. I must say I am doing much better. I am in the book of Job right now (the 18th book).

Depending on how you look at it Job can be a very discouraging or depressing book or it can be a very encouraging book. Reading and meditating on this book in the midst of what is going on all around us I thought I would try to share something that I read earlier this week. The first part of Job 13: 15 says - Though he slay me, I will hope in him. My question for me (and I guess for you) is why do we worship and hope in God? Think about it for a minute. Do we worship and hope in God because of what he does for us? Do we worship and hope in God because of what he has given us? Do we worship and hope in God because our life is pretty good right now? We are facing some very difficult times in our country and in our community. Friends and family members are losing their jobs, marriages are falling apart and it seems like every week we hear about someone else who found out they have cancer. If we base our praise and hope in God based solely on what he does for us, what he gives us, how good he is to us, our current situation, he is not very worthy of praise and hope at times. However, if we base our praise and hope in God on who he is and that alone, he is always worthy of worship and praise. Don't get caught up in letting your situation in life determine your view of who God is.

Revelation 4: 8-11

8Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." 9Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say: 11"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being."


If you read the verses before this you will not find anything that says "because he blessed us or because he gave us so much we will praise him." The four living creatures in heaven are simply praising him for who he is, the one who is worthy.

Take a look at the following verses, take time to worship God for who He is. Put your hope in Him for who he is. If he chooses to intervene in your situation, praise Him, if it appears as though He has chosen not to intervene and fix things (you feel like he is slaying you), praise Him. He is worthy.

Psalm 96:4 "For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods".

Psalm 145:1-3 1 I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. 2 Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. 3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.

2 Samuel 22:4 "I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies".

Revelation 4:11 "You are worthy, our LORD and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being".

No comments:

Post a Comment