Thursday, January 29, 2009

Super Bowl Sunday


This Sunday is the Super Bowl. Although it is not an official holiday it sure feels like one. It seems as if everything comes to a screeching halt Sunday afternoon around 6:00. This year the Steelers and the Cardinals will battle it out in Tampa Bay. As I talk to people about the game, the conversation will eventually move in the direction of the commercials. Some people say the only reason they watch the game is for the commercials. This year a 30 second spot will cost advertisers $3,000,000. That does not include the cost of producing the commercial. The commercials have almost taken some of the attention away from the game itself. To be honest with you I am not sure I remember who was in the Super Bowl last year, and I certainly don't remember the score. (No need to e-mail me, I just Googled it and found out the Giants beat the Patriots 17-14.) I do however, remember the commercial for Tide with the talking stain, I remember the Pepsi Max commercial with everyone falling asleep, etc, etc. I even remember the commercial from a couple of years ago for Tabasco Hot Sauce when the mosquito burst into flames after biting the dude who was eating the pizza.

With this said, I think we can learn something from this, or at least I did. If we compare our life to the Super Bowl, where is the focus? Where should the focus of our life be? I believe the focus of our life should be fulfilling the Great Commission.

Matthew 28: 19, 20 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."


Think about it, these were Christ's final words here on Earth. This was His game plan for us. His marching orders. My question for me (and for you) is have we lost our focus on the game? Is this what we are living for or have we gotten fixated on the commercials of life. Have we gotten sidetracked by our job, our involvement in little league anything, or even our family? Do we spend as much time on Matthew 28: 19, 20 as we do on WPDE 15 or WBTW 13? Are we spending as much time on making disciples as we are on making money? If you have lost focus ask the Lord to refocus your attention on what matters. Spend time in God's word. Look for an accountability partner who can ask you the tough questions. God is faithful to do what we ask. - I John 5: 14, 15 - 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment