Friday, January 9, 2009

Speechless


Have you ever heard or seen anything that almost took your breath away? It was so beyond what you could comprehend that you felt like whatever you said would not be enough or would fall short? A couple of days ago I was reading II Chronicles 9 and I came upon this passage:

II Chronicles 9: 1-4

1 Now when the queen of Sheba heard of the fame of Solomon, she came to Jerusalem to test him with hard questions, having a very great retinue and camels bearing spices and very much gold and precious stones. And when she came to Solomon, she told him all that was on her mind. 2And Solomon answered all her questions. There was nothing hidden from Solomon that he could not explain to her. 3And when the queen of Sheba had seen the wisdom of Solomon, the house that he had built, 4the food of his table, the seating of his officials, and the attendance of his servants, and their clothing, his cupbearers, and their clothing, and his burnt offerings that he offered at the house of the LORD, there was no more breath in her.

Notice what this passage is saying, the queen of Sheba was very wealthy and brought what she thought was a great gift to Solomon. vs 1...having a very great retinue and camels bearing spices and very much gold and precious stones. In the back of her mind she may have thought she was going to impress Solomon with what she had, with the gifts she was bringing. I thought to myself is this what I look like to God at times. Do I really think I can impress Him with what I have? Do I really think I can out give God? Do I really understand what God has at His disposal to accomplish His plan through me and you? Do I realize that if I am so caught up in me and the pursuit of what this world has to offer I may be speechless when I stand before the Judgment Seat of Christ one day!

II Corinthians 5: 10

10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.


Have you ever spent much time thinking about this? This is the judgment Believers (you and I) will have to face. How will we explain ourselves before Christ who knows everything about us. Who knows us better than we know ourselves? Who will remember things we have long forgotten? What will we say if Christ asks us for a list of what we have done for His glory? Will it matter how much we had in the bank? Will He be impressed by how high we climbed on the corporate ladder? Thank God for His grace because I will certainly need it to be applied liberally when I stand face-to-face with Christ!

I hope you and I will make the most of what time we have left on this Earth. I hope you and I will be involved in the things that matter most. There is a world that desperately needs our time, our help, our finances, all with the intent of sharing the Good News with them. I hope we can make 2009 a year we begin to move out of our comfort zone and begin to do what needs to be done for the sake of the Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment