Monday, November 10, 2008

Life's Alarm Clock

Have you ever woken up 10 or 15 minutes before your alarm clock goes off? That happened to me this morning (actually it happens more often than not) and it ticked me off. I roll over and try to focus on the time hoping is is going to say that I have another 2 or 3 hours of sleep but unfortunately I have 5 minutes. I mumble "Newman" like Jerry Seinfield with his terse lips. I close my eyes really tight hoping I can squeeze in a quick nap before the alarm actually starts beeping. It is useless so I roll out of the bed and start my routine 10 minutes early. 

As I was standing in the shower this morning the thought came to mind what if we had a clock that told us how much time we had left on this Earth.  What if we knew we only had a few years or a few days left. Would we get ticked off if we knew that today was our last here on Earth? Am I so attached to what this life has to offer and so conformed to the likeness of this world that I almost think Heaven is going to be a big let down! I pray that I don't let that happen to me. I heard a guy talk about this a few weeks ago and it had the "ah ha effect". He said that he hears people say "I bet grandma is looking down on us from heaven today" and he wants to say "Do you really think so?" He went on to read a few passages of scripture on heaven and the throne of God.

Ezekiel 1:25-28   25 Then there came a voice from above the expanse over their heads as they stood with lowered wings. 26 Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. 27 I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. 28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.  This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking. 

Revelation 4:2-10  2At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it. 3And the one who sat there had the appearance of jasper and carnelian. A rainbow, resembling an emerald, encircled the throne. 4Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads. 5From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. Before the throne, seven lamps were blazing. These are the seven spirits of God. 6Also before the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal. In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. 7The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. 8Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." 9Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. 

Read these passages of scripture again and ask yourself, do you really think those who have gone of before us are concerned with what we are doing here on Earth? Do you think they are ignoring all of this beauty and majesty - that the two writers are probably not truly able to describe - to say "Wow, look at Lamar carving the Thanksgiving turkey. I sure wish I was down there with him and the family." Maybe they are saying "Hey you twenty four elders, could you keep it down, I cannot hear my family sing happy birthday to my grandson!" Are we (Am I) that egotistical to think that "I am all that and a bag of chips!". That what I am doing here on Earth is more appealing than the Throne of God!  Folks, rejoice in knowing that one day we will be in the very presence of God almighty and it will be more incredible than anything we can ever imagine. There is an old hymn we use to sing and the chorus said Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace. Rejoice in knowing that your family and friends who have accepted what Christ accomplished at the cross are in heaven and the only thing they may be thinking about us is "I can't wait until (Your Name Here) gets here."

No comments:

Post a Comment